Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent



Our house is chemical free. I want it to be a toxin free zone and, therefore, I am always on the lookout for homemade cleaning products and all natural items I can make myself.  Many of these items also have the added benefit of saving money. I feel better about using them in my house, and I save a few bucks by not buying the junk in the stores.

I recently made this laundry detergent. I made the trial size so I could use it and check it out before I committed to the larger size.  I got the recipe from One Good Thing by Jillie.  She always posts really great DIY projects on her blog. Thanks Jillie! 

It was not easy to find the washing soda. I went to every local store and no one carried it.  I found it at my local Ace Hardware.

So here are the recipes for both sizes:

Trail Size  
2 cups Arm and Hammer Washing Soda 
3 cups Borax
1 bar Felsnaptha Soap 
4 1/2 cups Oxygenated Bleach 
3/4 cup Baking Soda


Large Size 
1 Box Arm and Hammer Washing Soda 
1 box Borax
3 bars Felsnaptha Soap 
2 tubs Oxygenated Bleach
2 cups Baking Soda 

Get out your food processor.  Chop the bars of felsnaptha into small chunks, put in the food processor and blend into a powder.  

You might want to do this next part outdoors as it will release some of that powdery dust when it's all mixed together.  I did it on my balcony. 

Get a large bucket or bowl, pour the felsnaptha in, then measure each item and add to the bowl.  Mix well with a big spoon or scoop.  Pour the product into the container of your choice,  I used large size canning jars.  I labeled them and lined them up on my shelf above my washer.  

Use 2 tablespoons per load. 

No comments:

Post a Comment